Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sauteed Spinach with Marinated Artichoke Hearts & Mushrooms

The story:
There is not much to tell with this vegetable side dish. Since my gastric bypass surgery I have had to become more and more creative with the foods that I am able to eat. Most of the time it is all about the southern foods that my family likes to eat. But, I have to find ways to add a spin so that there is something that I can eat and walk away with feeling satisfied. Most of time that is with rice, a lean cut of meat or in my vegetables.

Considering that I absolutely love spinach and artichokes I thought I would marry them up in balsmic vinegar with some mushrooms and scallions. It turned our far better than I had imagined and is now a favorite side dish among most of my family members. I say most, because Kai detests spinach.

The Ingredients:
1 Bunch Scallions (Diced)
1 Stick Salted Butter
1.5 lbs Fresh Spinach
2 6 oz. Jars Cento Marinated Artichoke Hearts
1 pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
2 T. Balsmic Vinegar
Salt to taste

The Preparations:

In a large pan, add a stick of butter, scallions, mushrooms, Balsmic vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and add in both jars of marinated artichoke hearts. Slowly add small bunches of spinach. The amount of spinach will look overwhelming but it cooks down quickly.

Turn spinach often and continue to add in remainin spinach as the pan will allow. It is important to continue to turn the spinach, The color should be a dark green and not brown or black. It is easy to over cook it so turn quickly.
Add in salt to taste as you continue to turn the spinach. Once all of the spinach has been sauteed take off of the heat and place in a serving dish.

The Serving:
This dish is a great accompaniment to any meal but is fantastic all by itself. Experiment with adding more or less balsmic vinegar or other vegetables such as red or yellow peppers.


This spinach dish gets the husband's thumb of approval and a score of 8.5.

0 comments:

What's Cookin' in Carrie's Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP