Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Ultimate Loaded Queso Dip

The Story:
Many years ago when I was working for a small family owned Garage Door Distributor, I was introduced to a load queso dip. I was 20 years old and pregnant with Miranda. During my pregnancy with her, I always craved Mexican food and salsa. One afternoon in the company kitchen I became very interested in the lunch of one of my co-workers. She brought queso and chips for lunch. This was so odd to me. I couldn't figure out who would want to eat queso by itself as a meal. That is until I tried it. My friend added meat and onions and refried beans to her dip. I think this is when I had the realization that you can be creative with food. Until then, I followed every recipe to the letter. We didn't have the internet so I used lots of old cook books and made lots of box dinners but always followed them to the letter with the exception of the seasonings. Those were always free game to seasoning "to-taste."

After trying her queso I decided I could be creative too. I began experimenting and added my favorite mexican ingredients. My loaded queso recipe has been a favorite at parites, company pot-lucks and of course with my kids. I cannot even count the number of times I have made this queso in the last 20 years.

The Ingredients
1 Regular Size block of Velveta
1 Pkg Taco Seasoning
2 Cans mild rotel
1 Can refried beans
1 Bushel of cilantro (remove stems)
1 Medium white onion
1 Lg can of green chiles
2 lbs of breakfast sausage ( i use Owens hot-n-spicy)


The Preparations:

Cube the velveta in a large pot. Drain rotel and mix with the Velveta.

Brown the sausage in a large frying pan until the meat is crumbly like hamburger meat. Dice the onion and cilantro and mix with the sausage. Mix in the taco seasoning. Cook until onions are soft. Add the green chiles and the refried beans to this mixture and cook until refried beans are heated.

Pour the meat mixture into the pot with the Velveta and stir well. Cook on low heat until cheese is melted. Make sure you stir or the cheese will stick.

Makes one large crock pot full. Enjoy!

0 comments:

What's Cookin' in Carrie's Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP